Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My 100 Favorite Tracks of All Time (70-61)

Alright! So begins the fourth installment of my 100 Favorite Tracks of All Time. What have we seen so far? We've been all over; from mid-1960s folk to modern-day indie rock to old soul to hip-hop. This list does not get any more focused, so be warned. You are in for more unexpectedness:

Recaps: 1, 2, 3:

100. Stuck in America - Sugarcult
099. History Lesson - Part II - Minutemen
098. To Clean (Acoustic) - Woods
097. Furr - Blitzen Trapper
096. At the Chime of a City Clock - Nick Drake
095. Search and Destroy - The Stooges
094. Scott Farcas Takes It On The Chin - Less Than Jake
093. Ruby Soho - Rancid
092. B.O.B. - Outkast
091. Monk Time - The Monks
090. Waiting Room - Fugazi
089. Ain't That Peculiar - Marvin Gaye
088. (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone - Minor Threat
087. Daylight - Aesop Rock
086. In the New Year - The Walkmen
085. Judy is a Punk - Ramones
084. I'm the Man Who Loves You - Wilco
083. My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes To Bitburg) - Ramones
082. White Riot - The Clash
081. Many Rivers to Cross - Jimmy Cliff
080. Lived In Bars - Cat Power
079. Venus - Television
078. In The Neighborhood - Tom Waits
077. Losing My Edge - LCD Soundsystem
076. Vitamin C - Can
075. International Player's Anthem - UGK (feat. Outkast)
074. Someday - The Strokes
073. These Days - Nico
072. All Falls Down - Kanye West
071. Debaser - Pixies

070. Suspicious Minds - Elvis Presley (http://is.gd/9yxtM)
I know a lot of Elvis fans are more into his early rock and roll career, but I personally lean towards his '70s big band/Vegas show era; especially "Suspicious Minds." Trust, man. Trust is the key to any adult relationship. Without it you've really got nothing. Because if you don't have it you're constantly thinking about what the other person is doing, and that's not constructive. It just makes you resentful. This song just also feeds into me being a total wuss, too. ("I can't walk out/Because I love you too much, baby.") And the ochestration is awesome, as are the background vocals.

069. Goodbye Stranger - Supertramp (http://is.gd/9yA7I)
This track sort of seems like an odd pick as I look at it amongst these other ones. I am just a sucker for that electric piano sound. Put that in pretty much anything and I'm in (I'm looking at you, "You're My Best Friend."). And I love how it builds. It starts basic with just Rodger Hodgeson and those keys, then guitar, then bass, then drums. And I always smile when I hear the hook. Just a solid, solid song.

068. For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder (http://is.gd/9yBO7)
Stevie!!! Woah is his voice just an absolute monster. This song is of course no exception. If this song doesn't bring a smile to your face there is something weird going on between your ears, man. Just a beautiful, positive, happy love song meant to be revered forever.

067. Leaves That Are Green - Simon & Garfunkel (http://is.gd/9yD8h)
So we go from one of the most optimistic songs ever written to an earth-shatteringly bleak one. I guess that's how it goes sometimes. "Hello Hello Hello Hello/Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye/That's all there is/And the leaves that are green turn to brown." This song is off of their second album, Sounds of Silence. I pretty much celebrate Paul Simon's entire catalogue, so it was tough for me to reduce his songbook down to 2. This song just does it for me. I guess partly because not many people know it, so I feel like it's something I own. I also like how it sounds like it should be in a Wes Anderson movie but just hasn't yet.

066. Mr. Pitiful - Otis Redding (http://is.gd/9yGIt)
I apologize there isn't a full video online. It's a shame, mostly, because watching Otis perform is the best way to experience his music. I've said this a million times, but I consider Otis Redding to be the biggest tragedy in music history. The man died at 26 (and I will forever blame the city of Madison for it). The reason he is such a tragedy is because I think he could have been the true bridge between rock and r&b. He and the Rolling Stones already had sort of a back and forth relationship covering each other's songs, but I think it could have been more. And I hear "Mr. Pitiful" and I just hear raw soul. Such a powerful voice. Dammit. So good.

065. Four Winds - Bright Eyes (http://is.gd/9yIQ6)
What's great about this song are the lyrics. Please read them: http://is.gd/9yK2H. But, what really makes the song unbelievable is the fact that these lyrics are put to, I contend, a pop country track. Like, this could be a Keith Urban song if Keith Urban wrote complex songs about obscure mysticism. And the harmonies are key.

064. Forks and Knives (La Fete) - Beirut (http://is.gd/9yLhk)
I lovelovelove Beirut. And here's why: above all else, Zach Condon has cultivated an aesthetic. Through his voice, instrument selection, influence and song subject matter he has created a sound that reflects a place and time without being gimmicky. When I hear "Forks and Knives" I think of wealth. You know how you hear rap and they talk about a new car or designer clothes or money and it sounds rich, right? But (and of course I am referring to Chris Rock's "Wealthy vs. Rich" bit) it's not wealthy. I hear this song and I think about a kid who has never worked a day in his life, probably had an au pair, and then coincidentally slept with that au pair, and now summers for years on end in various luxury locales in Europe. And all of that from some kid from New Mexico. Fantastic.

063. If Looks Could Kill - Camera Obscura (http://is.gd/9yOXc)
Tracyanne Campbell's voice just knocks me out. I hear the argument pretty frequently that all of their stuff sounds the same. Well, perhaps you're right. But when the one thing you do is perfectly constructed pop music about love and heartbreak, why switch up the formula?

062. People Got A Lotta Nerve - Neko Case (http://is.gd/9yQG3)
LOL. "You know/They call them killer whales/But you seem surprised/When it pinned you down to the bottom of the tank/Where you can't turn around." In light of everything that's happened recently this song has taken on new meaning. But, in all cases, Neko Case's voice is a force of nature. I don't understand how people can listen to only radio country. I mean, sure, if that's one thing you listen to, whatever. But there are people out there like Neko Case or the Drive-By Truckers or Bright Eyes or Lucinda Williams or etc. etc. who are doing essentially the same thing just a million times better. Anyway, this song is brilliant.

061. You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb - Spoon (http://is.gd/9ySup)
Now, I'm not the hugest Spoon fan. I don't take everything they do to be the greatest thing ever. But man was I a huge fan of Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga; mostly because of this song and "The Underdog." I love the arrangements and I love the way Britt Daniel's voice sounds, but I think what I love most is the unrelenting snare from start to finish. "Let it go on and on," indeed.

8tracks: External:


Almost half way!
-Erik

No comments:

Post a Comment