Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My 100 Favorite Tracks of All Time (100-91) [and intro]

Alright. This was a massive undertaking. Putting together a list of 100 favorite tracks? No time/genre boundaries? Ugh. I also kicked myself more in the ass by ranking everything. So the #1 on here is my #1.

A note/intro: I've been thinking a lot recently about the nature of criticism and what makes a good critic. Is it purely having good taste? What defines good taste? My personal belief is that a good critic can remove himself from what he likes and look at the subject in the context of the music and artist's history. Does it progress the art form? Does it say something new or significant? Or, if not, does it say something old in a significant way? There are so many considerations. And, of course, it's a bit pompous to think one's beliefs are any more relevant than anyone else's; but there's a certain level of commitment involved in order to define oneself as a critic. You have to sort of have a little pretention to think that your opinion matters. And it's not a pretention I take lightly. I do my best to not blindly like or dislike anything, and I encourage anyone who takes criticism sincerely to do the same.

Having said that, this list is MY FAVORITE 100 SONGS OF ALL TIME. This list is not the "100 Greatest Songs of All-Time." Not to say that some of the greatest songs ever written aren't on here; but this list is my personal 100. These are songs that have touched me in a significant way, and stuck with me over the years. My friend Tim (whose musical opinions I regard) undertook a similar list, and one of his main criteria was that the song could be listened to at any time and he wouldn't want to skip it. That's a great way to approach the list, but unfortunately, for me, sometimes different moods (angry, lovesick, confused) influence my desire to hear a song/artist. I tried to adhere to the "No Skip" rule, but it just couldn't be done for me.

So here it is. The beginning. Tracks 100-91.

100. Stuck in America - Sugarcult (http://is.gd/97H8T)
THIS track. Is underrated. THIS album. Is one of the best commentaries on suburban life put out in the 2000s. Just great pop punk songs about really dark subjects (violence, drug abuse, et al)

99. History Lesson - Part II - Minutemen (http://is.gd/97IqZ)
Haha. This song is so great. I love D. Boon's delivery of one of the most iconic lines of the punk movement ("Our band could be your life.") The whole song is just so casual about somethings that people turn into lifestyles: "Punk rock changed our lives."

98. To Clean (Acoustic) - Woods (http://is.gd/97JH7)
Nice. I am so happy that the video is the actual video of this recording! This song came out in 2009 and was listened to constantly. I am really big into the lo-fi aesthetic, but a lot of times it feels like the band uses rough production to cover up lack of talent. This song is just so beautiful. Great lyrics, smooth riffs and that voice. Damn.

97. Furr - Blitzen Trapper (http://is.gd/97KRN)
The title track off of their 2008 album. I love this song. Great melody and such imagination in the lyrics. It also brings me back to a great night I had with my good friend Matty at Palomino in Milwaukee's Bay View. This track came on and soundtracked a really nice chat.

96. At the Chime of a City Clock - Nick Drake (http://is.gd/97LBY)
Nick Drake is just so heartbreaking. His voice is like a vice on my heart. The ochestration on this song is beautiful, especially the haunting saxophone that duets with Nick a couple minutes in. This song is essential for me in wintertime.

95. Search & Destroy - The Stooges (http://is.gd/97MaU)
Raw Power, baby. God. If this song isn't just the powderkeg of frustration over everything ('Nam in particular) that it took to ignite punk, I don't know what is. And that riff! Ah!

94. Scott Farcas Takes It On The Chin - Less Than Jake (http://is.gd/97N5H)
I, like many others my age, went through a ska phase in high school. I don't regret it. But I did outgrow it in a lot of ways. But Less Than Jake has been a constant. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Vinny Fiorello is as close to Bruce Springsteen lyrically that's come along. These universal themes of discontent and wanting more out of life pop up all the time. "When I think of how I'm feeling right now, I still remember how I felt 4 years ago." The more things seem to change, the more human emotions remain a constant.

93. Ruby Soho - Rancid (http://is.gd/97OBZ)
I just realized how pop-punk/punk heavy these first 10 tracks are. Not really reflective of the rest of the list. ...And Out Come The Wolves is one of the greatest punk albums ever made. And this song is a great reflection. Just throw it on, have a drink with your friends as Tim Armstrong slurs through your speakers.

92. B.O.B. - OutKast (http://is.gd/97Pwq)
Woah. Just a shot of adrenaline directly to your heart. Andre 3000 is my #3 all-time rapper (behind Ghostface Killah and Black Thought of the Roots). But he's so much more than that. Man, has there been anything like this song since? Was there anything like it before it? The rhythm! The flow! The content! There is just so much to digest, and yet it's a pop song. A great, great pop song.

91. Monk Time - The Monks (http://is.gd/97QPO)
1966. This album came out the same year as Pet Sounds. How nuts is that? If you haven't seen this documentary I highly recommend it. Just the raw intensity of the lyrics and vocals. And the simplicity of the music. This was the foundation of punk, slammed into under 3 minutes. Simply brilliant.

8tracks: External:


More to come! Thanks for listening to my babel.

-Erik

No comments:

Post a Comment