Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My 100 Favorite Tracks of All Time (60-51)

This list concludes the first half of the top 100 favorite tracks project. I hope you're enjoying!

So far we've seen:

100. Stuck in America - Sugarcult
099. History Lesson - Part II - Minutemen
098. To Clean (Acoustic) - Woods
097. Furr - Blitzen Trapper
096. At the Chime of a City Clock - Nick Drake
095. Search and Destroy - The Stooges
094. Scott Farcas Takes It On The Chin - Less Than Jake
093. Ruby Soho - Rancid
092. B.O.B. - Outkast
091. Monk Time - The Monks
090. Waiting Room - Fugazi
089. Ain't That Peculiar - Marvin Gaye
088. (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone - Minor Threat
087. Daylight - Aesop Rock
086. In the New Year - The Walkmen
085. Judy is a Punk - Ramones
084. I'm the Man Who Loves You - Wilco
083. My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes To Bitburg) - Ramones
082. White Riot - The Clash
081. Many Rivers to Cross - Jimmy Cliff
080. Lived In Bars - Cat Power
079. Venus - Television
078. In The Neighborhood - Tom Waits
077. Losing My Edge - LCD Soundsystem
076. Vitamin C - Can
075. International Player's Anthem - UGK (feat. Outkast)
074. Someday - The Strokes
073. These Days - Nico
072. All Falls Down - Kanye West
071. Debaser - Pixies
070. Suspicious Minds - Elvis Presley
069. Goodbye Stranger - Supertramp
068. For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder
067. Leaves That Are Green - Simon & Garfunkel
066. Mr. Pitiful - Otis Redding
065. Four Winds - Bright Eyes
064. Forks and Knives (La Fete) - Beirut
063. If Looks Could Kill - Camera Obscura
062. People Got A Lotta Nerve - Neko Case
061. You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb - Spoon

060. Newsflash - Windmill (http://is.gd/9DW3z)
Thank goodness for that strange Austrian family who clearly can't understand the lyrics to this song for posting the video. So Windmill is essentially Matthew Thomas Dillon. Now yes, I realize he sounds like a muppet. But, man, what a heartbreaking song. I am a huge fan of divorce music (Blood on the Tracks is a Top 5 album for me), and this song just captures everything I imagine divorce to be. Just these heartbreaking little phrases ("Forgot to cut the grass by the baby's things." "Your dad called 'round confirmed the train is running from the tracks.")

059. Rose Parade - Elliott Smith (http://is.gd/9E2IG)
I could probably make a list of my 100 favorite Elliott Smith songs. It was tough limiting my picks to 2 because all of his stuff is so stellar. And he was consistently amazing on every album he made (my favorite is XO). This song is especially great because, while is of course a little depressing, it's not just a blatant suicide note like a lot of his music was (which makes his later work really tough to listen to, I think). Instead it's just his observations, which are simultaneously disarming and funny and sad. This is how I like to remember him.

058. Into the Mystic - Van Morrison (N/A, covers only)
This is probably my favorite love song of all time. The lyrics, that groove, those horns. Everything just makes me amorous. Plus, when I was in England I was pretty much listening to Van Morrison nonstop, so I have this personal connection with that specific place and time, which makes me simultaneously nostalgic and happy.

057. You Can Call Me Al - Paul Simon (http://is.gd/9E5vc)
I get into arguments all the time about what was the worsst decade for music. Everyone always says the 1980s. Well, I disagree. I think you show me almost any great act from the 1990s, I'll show you their analogue from the 1980s that was better (with the exception of hip-hop, which I think peaked in the 90s). I think the main this that separated the decades, however, was pop music. In the 80s it was beginning to wane in quality, but in the 90s and 00s it just became wretched. But I look back on these simple pop songs like "You Can Call Me Al" that are so upbeat and catchy, yet manage to smash in some of the most incredible lyrics every to receive mass radio play. Listen to the last verse of this song and not be impressed and moved.

056. Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks (http://is.gd/9E8zM)
This song is just plain beautiful. I don't have much to say about it that you wouldn't know by hearing it. The concept of a love song from the perspective of a lonely outsider looking in is so imaginative; and the execution on "Waterloo Sunset" is devastating and lovely.

055. Losing Out - Black Milk (feat. Royce Da 5'9") (http://is.gd/9EcZ1)
Haha. Detroit stand UP! This is the only way Allen Parson's Project is ever going to make it onto anyone's 100 greatest songs list. Man, the drums on this song just BANG. How can you listen to this and not just slam your head up and down? It also helps that the verses, while not completely game changing, are just solid and enjoyable. Front to back this is just an amazing track.

054. The Boy with the Thorn in His Side - The Smiths (http://is.gd/9EA30)
Oh man do I love The Queen is Dead. These songs are just so witty and lovely and the melodies are incredible. I take this song as an attack on anyone who has doubted me and been proven wrong. "And if they don't believe us now, will they ever believe us?"

053. Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)? - Buzzcocks (http://is.gd/9EArN)
I think Singles Going Steady is one of the best punk albums ever. Just awesome, frustrated songs about love. This song also falls into the "Erik is a pussy" category. Because, of course, the answer is Yes to the question posed in the title. But then again, who hasn't?

052. All I Need - The Temptations (http://is.gd/9EAIe)
What up David Ruffin?! I love The Temptations so much, and this track is definitely one of my favorites of theirs. I don't know if there's a name for the type of rhythm the bassist is playing (the same as "You Can't Hurry Love" by the Supremes and a million other songs) but I love it. Just an awesome, soulful song.

051. God Only Knows - Beach Boys (http://is.gd/9EAYO)
This song has been written about ad nauseum so I'll spare you. I'll just take this opportunity to justify why it isn't higher on the list. And it's because of the "Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-bap-ba" halfway through. It just sounds kind of corny, and it frustrates me everytime I hear it. But I love everything else about the song so much I can excuse it.

8tracks: External:


Peace and Love,
Erik

No comments:

Post a Comment