Thursday, April 2, 2009

Day 49: Charlie Chaplin's Speechless

On this day in 1972, Charlie Chaplin returned to the United States after a nearly 20-year exile on account of McCarthy-era Red Scare politics. Mr. Chaplin (who is best known for his silent-era comedies and physical humor) was labeled a Communist and, after leaving the country in 1952, wasn't allowed return. So he stayed away until the Academy offered him an honorary Oscar in '72.

Originally, I wanted to make a list of songs that effectively use silence. It sounds cool in theory, but I honestly don't know enough about music to make such a list. I'm sure if I had a staff of people it would be a great collaboration.

Instead, I've made a list of instrumental songs. Chaplin made great movies without talking, so I thought a cool tribute would be a list of songs without talking. Granted some of these tracks have a little bit of talking in them, but they are, for the most part, strictly instrumental.

I wanted to have a broad spectrum of musical styles here; and I think I succeeded. There's really a sampling of nearly every genre imaginable. I hope you enjoy! This list would also probably be great for studying (I know I have trouble focusing when there are lyrics going on in the background).

YouTube:
01. Van Halen - Eruption
02. Explosions in the Sky - A Song for Our Fathers
03. Metallica - Orion
04. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - East Hastings
05. Rush - YYZ
06. Bill Conti - Gonna Fly Now
07. Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good
08. Reel Big Fish - Sayonara Senorita
09. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Go Daddy-O!
10. Average White Band - Pick Up The Pieces
11. The Surfaris - Wipe Out
12. Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
13. Brian Eno - 1/1
14. Jon Brion - Omni
15. Rjd2 - Ghostwriter
16. J Dilla - Time: The Donuts of the Heart
17. War - City, Country, City (N/A)
18. Outkast (Andre 3000) - My Favorite Things
19. Blues Brothers - Green Onions/Soul Finger (I was originally going to do both, but I found this dual version. The originals can be found HERE and HERE)
20. Miles Davis - Blue In Green

imeem: External:

Day 49: Instrumental Music

Shhhhh,
Erik

Bonus Video!


(Image By ~Mclaire~, Licensed Under Creative Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment