Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day 77: George Carlin

Today is a little bittersweet, for it marks what would have been George Carlin's 72nd birthday. Unfortunately, he passed away last year, leaving a huge hole in the comedy world. Being a Milwaukeean, I feel it my duty to personally make up for the fact that in 1972 Mr. Carlin was arrested in Milwaukee for disturbing the peace.

The act that got him arrested was his "Seven Dirty Words" routine. One of his legacies, of course, is his liberal use of profanity (and free speech in general). To commemorate Mr. Carlin, I've put together a list of 10 songs (some of which are short) that display my favorite use of profanity. There are a lot of songs out there that use a bunch of swears, but they come across as obnoxious to me (I'm looking at you, "My Neck, My Back" and "The Whisper Song").

Not to say some of these songs don't use profanity cheaply; they do. But, the difference is, they don't take themselves seriously, and I like that. And so should you.

YouTube:
01. Reel Big Fish - Another F.U. Song
02. Blink 182 - Happy Holidays, You Bastard
03. Tenacious D - Karate
04. Eminem - Kill You
05. N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
06. Pantera - Fucking Hostile
07. Dr. Dooom - No Chorus
08. Lil Jon feat. Ice Cube - Roll Call
09. Frank Zappa & Steve Vai - Fuck Yourself
10. Ben Folds - Bitches Ain't Shit

imeem: External:

Day 77: George Carlin

Fuck,
Erik

Vid.


(Image by Thomas Roche, Licensed Under Creative Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment