Friday, May 1, 2009

Day 70: Elvis Costello

This week's artist spotlight is Mr. Elvis Costello, a man for whom I have the utmost respect. Like Lou Reed and Joe Strummer, Costello was both simultaneously more punk than the punks and more intelligent than the... well everyone. Lyrically he always comes through with a profound message on pretty much every topic. Unlike a lot of punk music, he doesn't fall back on the primitive "Fuck you" to the government message. Instead he describes why we can't truth those in power. Musically, his explorations have ventured from rock to jazz to reggae to punk and nearly everything else, and he's done them all well. Also, like a Van Morrison, his music has aged really well (and so has his voice).

I've put together a 20-track list of some of my favorite Costello songs (though it could easily be 50). I've spanned the majority of his career, from his more punkish roots to his recent dabblings in jazz and classical. Enjoy!!!

YouTube:
(All songs by Elvis Costello and one of his many back-up groups [The Attractions, The Imposters, and the Brodsky Quartet])
01. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
02. Bedlam
03. Welcome to the Working Week (Note: This song was going to go on the May Day list, but I knew it was going on this list so I decided not to use it, though it deserves to be)
04. Man Out Of Time (I've used this song on a previous list, but I'm sorry, I love it so)
05. Little Palaces
06. I Almost Had A Weakness (Cover Only)
07. Little Triggers
08. Couldn't Call It Unexpected (Cover Only)
09. Tokyo Storm Warning (N/A)
10. White Knuckles (N/A)
11. Everyday I Write The Book
12. Watching the Detectives
13. ...And In Every Home (N/A)
14. Shipbuilding
15. Soul For Hire (Cover Only)
16. Goon Squad (N/A)
17. 13 Steps Lead Down
18. Man Called Uncle (N/A)
19. Clubland
20. Alison

imeem: External:

Day 70: Elvis Costello

Get Happy!!
Erik

Vids!


And


And epically


(Image by Bruno Bollaert, Licensed Under Creative Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment