Thursday, April 9, 2009

Day 54: Passed Over (1-Hit Wonders)

Shalom! Today is the first full day of Passover, which is apparently some sort of Jewish festival. Not the one with lights; the other one I think. I'm not a Jewish person.

I wanted to come up with a cool way to take on this holiday, and this is what I came up with: One-Hit Wonders; those groups who were passed over by history, not (always) for lack of talent or ambition or anything like that; but rather because their first single was so good they could never replicate that success.

This is my list of my favorite One-Hit Wonders, with a lot of credit due to this site. These may not be the most famous O-HW; but they are some my favoritess. Also, I have used a few of my favorite wonders on previous lists (Spiral Staircase, Simple Minds, and The Sanford-Townsend Band, et al), so they do not appear here. Either way, enjoy.

YouTube:
01. Apollo 100 - Joy (N/A on imeem)
02. Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy
03. Biz Markie - Just A Friend
04. Skee-Lo - I Wish
05. Fort Minor feat. Holly Brook - Where'd You Go
06. QB's Finest feat. Bravehearts - Oochie Wally
07. Five Stairsteps - Ooh Child (N/A on imeem)
08. Musical Youth - Pass the Dutchie
09. Harold Faltermeyer - Axel F
10. The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
11. Monster Magnet - Space Lord
12. The Ides of March - Vehicle
13. Modern English - I Melt With You (Poor quality live version on imeem)
14. Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta (N/A on imeem)
15. Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal
16. The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star
17. Daniel Powter - Bad Day
18. Mocedades - Eres Tu (Touch the Wind)
19. The Penguins - Earth Angel
20. Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2U

imeem (with 2 substitutions): External:

Day 54: Passed Over (One-Hit Wonders)

It Only Takes One,
Erik

Bonus Vids!


And:


(Image by Todd Lappin, Licensed Under Creative Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment