Thursday, February 26, 2009

Day 24: Original Dixieland Jass Band

On this day in 1917, the Original Dixieland Jass Band recorded the first ever jazz record. In honor of this momentous occasion, I've put together some of my favorite jazz numbers. There are some genres of music that I feel I know a lot about. And some I know next to nothing. Jazz would definitely fall in the latter. But, I know what I like, and this list reflects my interest more than standard jazz appreciation. I hope you can groove to it.

YouTube:
01. Dizzy Gillespie - Manteca
02. Charles Mingus - Fables of Faubus
03. Wes Montgomery - 'Round Midnight
04. Herbie Hancock - Chameleon (Part 1) (Part 2)
05. Dave Brubeck - Take 5
06. John Coltrane - Central Park West
07. Miles Davis - Freddie Freeloader
08. Thelonious Monk - Blue Monk
09. Anne Mette Iversen Quartet with 4Corners - East (Allegro) (N/A, MySpace)
10. Vincle Guaraldi Trio - The Christmas Song (N/A)

imeem: External:

Day 24: Original Dixieland Jass Band

Stay Cool,
Erik

Bonus Video!:


(Image by Danny., Licensed Under Creative Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment