Monday, March 8, 2010

My 100 Favorite Tracks of All Time (40-31)

I don't have any clever lead-in.

Recap:
100. Stuck in America - Sugarcult
099. History Lesson - Part II - Minutemen
098. To Clean (Acoustic) - Woods
097. Furr - Blitzen Trapper
096. At the Chime of a City Clock - Nick Drake
095. Search and Destroy - The Stooges
094. Scott Farcas Takes It On The Chin - Less Than Jake
093. Ruby Soho - Rancid
092. B.O.B. - Outkast
091. Monk Time - The Monks
090. Waiting Room - Fugazi
089. Ain't That Peculiar - Marvin Gaye
088. (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone - Minor Threat
087. Daylight - Aesop Rock
086. In the New Year - The Walkmen
085. Judy is a Punk - Ramones
084. I'm the Man Who Loves You - Wilco
083. My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes To Bitburg) - Ramones
082. White Riot - The Clash
081. Many Rivers to Cross - Jimmy Cliff
080. Lived In Bars - Cat Power
079. Venus - Television
078. In The Neighborhood - Tom Waits
077. Losing My Edge - LCD Soundsystem
076. Vitamin C - Can
075. International Player's Anthem - UGK (feat. Outkast)
074. Someday - The Strokes
073. These Days - Nico
072. All Falls Down - Kanye West
071. Debaser - Pixies
070. Suspicious Minds - Elvis Presley
069. Goodbye Stranger - Supertramp
068. For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder
067. Leaves That Are Green - Simon & Garfunkel
066. Mr. Pitiful - Otis Redding
065. Four Winds - Bright Eyes
064. Forks and Knives (La Fete) - Beirut
063. If Looks Could Kill - Camera Obscura
062. People Got A Lotta Nerve - Neko Case
061. You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb - Spoon
060. Newsflash - Windmill
059. Rose Parade - Elliott Smith
058. Into the Mystic - Van Morrison
057. You Can Call Me Al - Paul Simon
056. Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks
055. Losing Out - Black Milk (feat. Royce Da 5'9")
054. The Boy with the Thorn in His Side - The Smiths
053. Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)? - Buzzcocks
052. All I Need - The Temptations
051. God Only Knows - Beach Boys
050. Elephant Gun - Beirut
049. Skating Away - Jethro Tull
048. Man Out Of Time - Elvis Costello
047. Brother Run Them Down - Constantines
046. M79 - Vampire Weekend
045. The Wind - Cat Stevens
044. Constructive Summer - The Hold Steady
043. Reinventing the Wheel to Run Myself Over - Fall Out Boy
042. I'll Be Your Man - The Black Keys
041. A Change Is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke

040-031:
040. Landslide - Smashing Pumpkins (http://is.gd/a0blC)
I have always admired this song more than my significant distaste for Stevie Nicks. It's such a perfect expression of transition ("I climbed a mountain and I turned around.") I like this version so much more than the original, because I think Corgan's voice just nails it. And he sings these lyrics so emphatically he may as well have written them.

039. Here Should Be My Home - No Age (http://is.gd/a0bSj)
This is a newer track by lo-fi duo No Age. Songs like this are the beauty of the "greatest vs. favorite" debate. Now, I know this probably isn't the 39th greatest song ever written, but there are few musical moments that I love more than when the drums open up halfway through this song; just, so much attitude and energy. And I am always struck by the delivery on the line "If I'm around here, then here should be my home/But it's not at all."

038. Metal Firecracker - Lucinda Williams (BAD covers only on YouTube)
My two favorite country albums of all time are Johnny Cash as Folsom and Lucinda Williams' Car Wheels on a Gravel Road. The whole album is full of raw emotion, which is what I look for with country music. I mean there's always a place for a clever turn of phrase like a Neko Case song, but my heart just melts for simple country girls. The sentiment on the chorus of this song is so devastatingly self-deprecating. "All I ask is don't tell anybody the secrets/Don't tell anybody the secrets I told you." Like, you can do whatever you want to me and it's fine, just please keep what we had between us. And delivered in the drawl, Lucinda, I'm yours.

037. So Far Around the Bend - The National (http://is.gd/a0dy1)
Woah this song and band snuck up on me. I don't know what took me so long. Like, I heard Boxer, and thought it was good. And I heard this song on Dark Was The Night, and must have just overlooked it. But after rediscovering it via Tim Kringle's 2009 review I went back and looked at the National's catalog. And now they are one of my favorite bands. OK. This song. Things I intensely love about this song: 1. Patience. The National is as good as they are because of their rhythm section; the backbone. This song doesn't rush. It unfolds wonderfully. If you need any evidence of their great rhythm section just look at 2:00 into this song. 2. The lyrics (especially the unnecessary and brilliant second chorus). 3. Nico Muhly's whimsical and lovely orchestration. Such a great song.

036. Shakey Dog - Ghostface Killah (http://is.gd/a0dTe)
No chorus. No need for a chorus. This song is straight fire from the beginning to end. One thing I noticed the last time I heard this song: well, obviously, the beat samples "I Can Sing A Rainbow/Love Is Blue" by the Dells, and the song begins with the word "Green" over and over. How did I miss this? Well either way, Ghost comes out firing. This may be narratively the most engaging rap song of all time. At a little after 3:00 the story peaks pretty hard and Ghost is "on the floor like, 'Holy Shit!'" and I pretty much feel the same way. I am in awe of this song.

035. I Only Want to Be With You - Dusty Springfield (http://is.gd/a0evo)
This is as close to a perfect pop song as you can get. There really isn't a whole lot of conmplicated justification for why I love it. I just don't think I've ever been in a room where "I Only Want to Be With You" has come on and not been cheered up.

034. July, July! - The Decemberists (http://is.gd/a0f0g)
There are a lot of Decemberists tracks that could have been on this list. But, like the previous track, I don't think "July, July!" has ever come on and not been welcomed. And, of course it's just emblematic of Colin Meloy's hyper-literate and imaginative songwriting and great pop sensibilities.

033. I Want You - Bob Dylan (http://is.gd/a0fvg)
As I said in the intro, this list could have contained most of sides A and B of Blonde on Blonde (specifically "Visions of Johanna," "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again," "I Want You" and "One of Us Must Know [Sooner or Later]"). But I settled on "I Want You," because I tend to associate songs with movie scenes. And this song I associate this this scene (NSFW) http://is.gd/a0Opw, which is my favorite love/sex scene of all time. "The cracked bells and washed out horns blow into my face with scorn/But it's not that way; I wasn't born to lose you."

032. No Rain - Blind Melon (http://is.gd/a0fJL)
This song is possibly the catchiest song about horrible depression of all time. Just heartbreaking lyrics and peppy, pretty music. That's my kind of track. I also like this song for the same reason I like "So Far Around the Bend": its patience. No rush. Just relax and enjoy the late Mr. Hoon's sadness.

031. Answering Machine - The Replacements (http://is.gd/a0g7r)
Let It Be is such an amazing album. I was really close to putting "Unsatisfied" on here, but went with "Answering Machine." I love how it's like an acoustic folk song, but with that tough guitar sound and Paul Westerberg's punk vocals. "Try and free and slave of ignorance/Try and teach a whore about romance." The lyrics to this song are just unbelievable.

8tracks: External:


Woot,
Erik

No comments:

Post a Comment