Friday, May 29, 2009

Day 89: Rolling Stones

This week's artist spotlight is the Rolling Stones, arguably the greatest rock 'n' roll band of all time. The Stones are awesome, because people can typically be divided into two categories: Stones or Beatles; delineating whether a person favors harder rock or more poppy rock (for the record, I never know how to answer this question. I like them equally, I think).

I've put together a 20-track list of some of my favorite Stones songs. It'd be pretty easy to get bogged down in their greatest hits ("Gimme Shelter" and "Satisfaction" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Start Me Up" are alright, but I'm a little burned out on them [there's a great quote from David Hinckley at the NY Daily News about his best of the Stones list: "The exclusion of 'Satisfaction,' by the way, is not an accident. I know it is to 1960s rock ‘n' roll what a good radio is to a car. I love the story of Keith waking up in the middle of the night, strumming a few chords into his tape recorder and falling back to sleep. I also don't care if I never hear it again."])

I do have some of their biggest songs ("Sympathy..." and "Ruby Tuesday" and "Under My Thumb") because I think it's important to pay some homage to their whole catalog. I've included some deeper cuts, some forgotten gems, that I think you'll like if you've never hear 'em before. Enjoy!

(2 notes: 1.) I apologize for using so many Wes Anderson Rolling Stones songs. He just picks such winners! and 2.) If you have "Start Me Up" on a best of the Stones list, you're a dumb person.)

YouTube:
(All songs by the Rolling Stones)
01. Street Fighting Man
02. Under My Thumb
03. When the Whip Comes Down
04. 19th Nervous Breakdown
05. She's A Rainbow
06. I Am Waiting
07. Sympathy For The Devil
08. Tumbling Dice
09. Brown Sugar
10. Some Girls
11. 2000 Man
12. Sway
13. Blue Turns To Grey
14. She Smiled Sweetly
15. Paint It, Black
16. Rocks Off
17. Play With Fire
18. Citadel (cover)
19. Prodigal Son
20. Ruby Tuesday

imeem: External:

Day 89: Rolling Stones

Just Like A Young Girl Should? ...idk Mick
Erik

Videos!


and


(Image by Alessio, Licensed Under Creative Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment