Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day 74: The Seven Deadly Sins

There are plenty of days like this, May 7, where there isn't a whole lot going on; no notable deaths or birthdays, no holidays, no nothing. But, today is the 7th, which has prompted today's list: the Seven Deadly Sins. I've put together seven tracks that, in my opinion, best represent each of the Cardinal Sins. Enjoy, and let me know you think.

Lust (There are a lot of songs about lust, but this song really embodies the concept for me. The Deadly Sins aren't about moderation. Any of these things taken in small doses probably won't kill you. But, wanting it too much and in excess, that's the killer.)
01. Barry White - Can't Get Enough of Your Love
Gluttony (I realize this song is really obvious as far as lyrics are concerned; but I felt it appropriate. And, I didn't wanna settle on "Weird Al" Yankovic's "Fat" or "Eat It.")
02. Dave Matthews Band - Too Much
Greed (This song pretty much exemplifies modern rap's greed.)
03. 50 Cent - I Get Money
Sloth (This song came by good suggestion. It embodies apathy and detrimental laziness about as fully as anything else out there.)
04. Green Day - Longview
Wrath (Both musically and lyrically wrathful.)
05. Metallica - Seek & Destroy
Envy (I love this pick. There are a lot of songs about envy, but this one really goes to the extreme. This person is so envious of someone else's love that he can barely distinguish reality from imagination.)
06. The Temptations - Just My Imagination
Pride (The pride they refer to with the sins isn't being proud of something else; it's hubris. It's a love of self more than a love of anything else. Now, rap is probably the most self-obsessed genre, and Kanye West is probably the most self-obsessed person within that genre. The chorus asks, "Did you realize, that you were a champion in their eyes?" But it asks it in the third person, to which Kanye responds to his own question: "Yes I did." Gotta love it.)
07. Kanye West - Champion

imeem: External:

Day 74: The Seven Deadly Sins

Let Us Pray,
Erik

And...



(Image by Bill Rogers, Licensed Under Creative Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment