Friday, March 13, 2009

Day 35: The Clash

The Clash. There's not a whole lot to say that hasn't already been said. Within the roots punk movement they were a voice of non-violence and peace, as well as defenders of equality and injustice. Not to mentioned they rocked incredibly hard while being simultaneously musical for a punk band. They were also one of the first bands to really dive in blending styles. Between reggae and punk, hip-hop and pop, their repertoire is impressive over such a relatively short span of albums (they only had 6-7 studio albums).

In making this list, I wanted to show some of their diversity; but with such incredible albums like The Clash and London Calling, the list turned a bit more favoring towards those albums than I would like. But what can you do? A great album's a great album. And I also probably should have the song "London Calling" on this list. But I don't. Nor did I go down the route of "Rock the Casbah" or "Should I Stay Or Should I Go."

In the words of Craig Finn: "Raise a toast to Saint Joe Strummer. I think he might've been our only decent teacher."

YouTube:
(All songs by The Clash)
01. White Riot
02. Know Your Rights
03. Police & Thieves
04. (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais
05. Train in Vain (Stand By Me)
06. Washington Bullets
07. Hateful
08. Stay Free
09. Police On My Back
10. Capitol Radio Two
11. Pressure Drop
12. Lost in the Supermarket
13. Complete Control
14. City of the Dead
15. English Civil War
16. Spanish Bombs
17. Straight to Hell
18. Hitsville U.K.
19. This is England
20. The Man in Me (Dylan Cover)

imeem: External:

Day 35: The Clash

Can't Fail,
Erik

Bonus Vid! (The Clash rapping before it was cool)


(Image By Ian Burt (via Pennie Smith). Licensed Under Creative Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment